6 Reminders For Anyone Who ‘Hates People’
1. Raising your walls can hurt you more than it protects you. You don’t want to let the wrong person into your heart, but not all people are going to cause you pain. Some people are going to make life easier on you. They’re going to uplift you. They’re going to remind you that humans are good deep down. Don’t push kind people away because you’re worried you’re going to get hurt again. Don’t isolate yourself due to the wrongful assumption every single person on this planet sucks.
2. Everyone is dealing with awful shit, just like you. Sometimes, the people who come across as rude are doing the same thing you are — trying to protect themselves. And sometimes, they’re dealing with deeper issues. Either way, their attitude probably has nothing to do with you. Not really. They aren’t being mean because they hate you. They’re in a bad mood and projecting their anger onto whoever they see. So don’t take their meanness to heart. Ignore them and move on.
3. There are already good people in your world. There’s at least one person in your life who you would do absolutely anything to protect. They’re proof that people aren’t all bad. It might take you a while to find other people who connect with you on the same level, but they exist. They’re out there, somewhere, waiting for you to stumble across them. So don’t assume you’re better off alone. You just need to find the right people, the ones who are worthy of your time and attention.
4. You’re in charge of who you exert your energy on. You know whether someone is wasting your time, whether they’re draining your energy, whether they’re depleting your joy. If they’re doing more harm than good, you’re allowed to kick them out of your life. You don’t have to spend time around people who are bringing you down. You can walk away from them. You can find new friends who actually give a shit about you. You don’t have to settle for scraps.
5. You’re not perfect, either. Yes, there are some people who don’t deserve your attention after what they’ve put you through. But there are other people who are mostly good but have made a few mistakes. Don’t be too harsh on the loved ones who are normally trying their best, who usually treat you with kindness and respect. Everyone fucks up from time to time, yourself included. So don’t assume a certain someone is going to hurt you again and again, when they’ve only made a teeny mistake once.
6. Human connection is vital. You’re not going to get along with everyone. You’re not going to make everyone happy. But when you find people who get you, make sure you tell them how much they mean to you. Make sure they understand their importance. Remember, even if you can’t stand ninety-nine percent of people you come across, there are still plenty of people remaining that can be your friend. So don’t count them out yet. Be open to forming a connection.
About the author
January Nelson is a writer, editor, and dreamer. She writes about astrology, games, love, relationships, and entertainment. January graduated with an English and Literature degree from Columbia University. Read more articles from January on Thought Catalog.
Learn more about Thought Catalog and our writers on our about page.
Read The Full Article
This Content Was Originally Posted At: