This Moist, Naturally Sweet Zucchini Bread Recipe Is a Total Winner
This version of Zucchini Bread is lighter and healthier because it uses maple syrup in place of sugar and olive oil instead of butter.
The outside is firm and baked to perfection, while the inside is soft and delicious. Spread a little butter and honey on it for a tasty morning treat instead of pancakes or waffles.
If you like zucchini and end up with a lot of it every season, a good way to use it up is to make zucchini bread with it.
Zucchini is more than just a summer vegetable because it has so many uses.
It makes a great substitute for noodles if you slice it into long thin strips.
It can be used in lasagna for a noodle-less dish and cut up in a hearty stew with summer squash and potatoes.
These days a lot of people are trying to avoid excess sugar, which makes this a perfect dish to add to your monthly menu.
It has much less sugar than traditional zucchini bread (the only sweetener is maple syrup) and uses whole wheat and all-purpose flour for a lighter dough.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, finely grated
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Optional – sprinkling of ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a 9″x5″ loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Add maple syrup and zucchini to the egg mixture. Stir in oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients into the bowl and stir together until blended. Stir in chopped walnuts or any additional ingredients.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool the bread loaves on a wire rack before slicing.
- Flour – If you don’t have whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour can be used alone.
- Eggs – You can substitute egg substitute or flaxseed egg for the eggs in the recipe. I
- Applesauce – If you prefer, substitute 1/4 cup mashed banana for the applesauce.
- Nuts – Walnuts are good, but any type of chopped nuts will do.
- Chocolate – Chocolate chips are a great addition if you want a little chocolate flavor. Use 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
How to Serve Zucchini Bread
Zucchini bread is a versatile food item and can be eaten with just about anything. Serve with eggs, bacon, or ham for breakfast, or with fruit and yogurt for a tasty lunch.
If you want to make extra loaves for convenience, wrap them in aluminum foil and place them in a Ziploc gallon-size freezer bag, and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
About the Author
She co-founded Fitwirr to make health and fitness simple for everyone and share her tips through writing evidence-based articles on nutrition, weight loss, and exercise.
Read The Full Article
This Content Was Originally Posted At: