This Power-Breakfast Coffee Smoothie Is All You Need To Start the Day
What better way to start the day, than with a delicious coffee smoothie!
There are some days when you don’t want hot coffee, and this is a refreshing change of pace for coffee lovers around the world.
All you need are a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Give it a try in place of a hot cup of morning coffee and see what you think.
For many of us, that morning cup of coffee is what wakes us up and gets us going for the day.
However, there are days when you just want something a little different.
To spice things up a bit and give your taste buds a treat.
Coffee smoothies are tasty and perfect for breakfast on the go.
Maybe smoothies are not a new concept for you.
Maybe you have a great blender and make smoothies all the time, but it never occurred to you to make one with coffee for a cold, creamy treat.
Now is the time to try it out.
This smoothie recipe has only a few ingredients, but you can add more to make it your own.
Fruit smoothies are made with a variety of fruits, maybe a vegetable, and something to add sweetness.
This one uses coffee for the base, some banana, and chilled almond milk for the creaminess, and dates to sweeten it.
The recipe calls for almond milk because a lot of people prefer a dairy-free alternative, but you can use any type of plant-based milk you like.
It works just as well with coconut milk, oat, or hemp milk.
Rice milk tends to be a little thin and may not produce good results.
Benefits of Coffee in a Healthy Smoothie Recipe
Coffee is not just a morning beverage, it can be great as an afternoon pick-me-up.
Coffee contains caffeine, which is a stimulant and gives you an energy boost to help you get through a workout session or being the transportation for your son’s soccer team.
If you want your smoothie to taste like your favorite coffee house beverage, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or top it with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.
Besides giving you energy, coffee also has some other benefits such as increased adrenaline, dopamine, and norepinephrine which help activate neurotransmitters in the brain.
It also contains vitamin B12, vitamin B5, manganese, potassium, magnesium, and niacin.
The nice thing about coffee is that it can be served hot as a morning drink or over ice for a refreshing afternoon drink.
It is best not to drink it at night if you have trouble sleeping, though. It can keep you up if you drink it late in the evening.
- ½ cup coffee (brewed strong and cooled)
- ½ cup plant-based milk of your choice (almond milk, coconut milk, or cashew milk).
- 1 Frozen banana (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 2 medjool dates
- 1 tsp of Chia seeds, or hemp seeds
- A few ice cubes
- Anything else you want to add
- Brew a cup of hot coffee like you normally would, except make it a little stronger. When you add the milk, banana, and dates it may make the final result a little weak if the coffee isn’t strong enough.
- Add your banana chunks, dates, chia seeds, and cooled coffee to a blender. Blend for 30 seconds. Slowly add the milk and blend for a few more seconds, or until frothy.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 243Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 23gProtein: 8g
- You can substitute 2 tsp instant coffee for the brewed coffee.
- Use espresso in place of regular coffee
- Substitute cold brew coffee
- Add a tsp of coconut oil
- Top with a little shaved coconut
- Grind a few tbsp. Cacao nibs
- Cocoa powder or instant cocoa
- Add a tsp. of vanilla, amaretto, hazelnut, or caramel syrup
- Substitute sweetened condensed milk for the almond milk
- Substitute fresh banana for frozen and add a couple of ice cubes
- Add a Tbsp. Of chocolate protein powder, or shave a little fresh chocolate on top as a garnish;
- You can also add a little MCT oil or Maca powder ( for a boost of healthy fats)
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Pour into a glass, and serve immediately with a bendy straw.
A smoothie is a great way to add a little kick to your busy morning routine. Pour it into a reusable travel mug with a lid and take it to go for a quick and easy way to get your caffeine fix.
If you normally stop at a coffee shop for your morning java, making it at home lets you make it the way you like.
You could add some hemp seeds in place of the chia seeds, some healthy fats to make a customized creamy smoothie that tastes delicious.
Facts About Smoothies
The very first smoothie was invented by a lady named Mabel Stegner, who worked for the Waring Corporation, a company that manufactured the high-speed blender.
She published a recipe book in the 1940s on milk smoothies.
Smoothies are often made with tropical fruits like mangoes, coconut, pineapple, watermelon, and cantaloupe.
Milk is added to make it smooth and creamy.
Healthy fats like peanut butter, almonds, cashews, and even avocado give it flavor and healthy nutrients.
Bodybuilders make smoothies with whey protein powder, fruits, leafy vegetables like kale and spinach, ice cubes, and sometimes a raw egg for protein.
This gives them energy for working out and added nutrients to their diet without adding a lot of calories.
The coffee for this coffee smoothie recipe can be made the night before and kept in the refrigerator, so it is ready to be added to the blender.
You can use any of the suggestions for milk, sweeteners, and healthy fats to create your own delicious coffee smoothie in your own kitchen.
Use this recipe as a base and add your own flavors.
Read The Full Article
This Content Was Originally Posted At: